At Rhiw Syr Dafydd Primary School the staff strive to provide a broad and balanced curriculum for all children. The National Curriculum is our starting point for planning that meets the specific needs of individuals and groups of children. When planning, teachers set suitable learning challenges and respond to children’s diverse learning needs. Some children have barriers to learning that mean they have special needs and require particular action by the school.
These requirements are likely to arise as a consequence of a child having special educational needs. Teachers take account of these requirements and make provision, where necessary, to support individuals or groups of children and thus enable them to participate effectively in curriculum and assessment activities. Such children may need additional or different help from that given to other children of the same age.
Children may have special educational needs either throughout or at any time during their school career. This policy ensures that curriculum planning and assessment for children with special educational needs takes account of the type and extent of the difficulty experienced by the child. Teachers will encourage and support pupils to achieve their full potential, raise self - esteem and achieve success.
Children who have exceptional talents in one or more area are also said to have SEN, and a similar process of staged intervention, planning and recording will be implemented for these pupils.
All teachers are teachers of children with SEN and as a school we aim to provide opportunities for all pupils with SEN to have access to a broad balanced curriculum. At Rhiw Syr Dafydd Primary school we aim to provide a wholly inclusive environment. All pupils, irrespective of gender, social background or need, will form part of supportive and caring community.
Aims and Objectives
The aims of this policy are: -
- to create an environment that meets the special educational needs of each individual child
- to ensure that the special educational needs of children are identified, assessed and provided for
- to make clear the expectations of all partners in the process
- to identify the roles and responsibilities of staff in providing for children’s special educational needs
- to enable all children to have full access to all elements of the school curriculum
- to include parents and pupils as fully as is practical in decisions affecting the child’s future
- to review policy and procedure on a regular basis, keeping in line with current advice and best practice.
The member of staff with responsibility for SEN in Rhiw Syr Dafydd is Mrs Robins.
The Governor repsonsible for SEN is Mr Stephen Gammage. He can be contacted via the school.