Stay Safe in the Sun
14 May 2018
Given that summer seems to have finally arrived (hopefully!), I would like to bring parents’ attention to the following:
- Please ensure that on sunny days, pupils have a hat (labelled with their name) and that sun cream is applied before they come to school, as appropriate. For obvious practical and health and safety reasons, pupils should not bring sun tan lotion to school.
- All infant pupils are provided with a cup and encouraged to drink plenty of water throughout the day. KS2 pupils need to bring their own water bottle each day. These bottles should be for water only and can be topped up throughout the day. The bottles need to be cleaned at home regularly. Maintaining appropriate hydration levels is important for both health and learning.
- There is now adequate shading available on both infant and junior playgrounds.
- Hay fever medication should be given as required before/after school. No medication should be kept at school unless medical need demands so. In these extreme cases a care plan would be drawn up with the input of a school nurse.
- Summer footwear needs to be appropriate, enabling pupils to run around when possible. Ideally, black footwear should be worn.
- Uniform should be worn throughout the summer term. If pupils are particularly sensitive to the sun, arms and legs should remain covered.